Employment Opportunity: Executive Director
- Department/Report to: GOPIP Executive Board
- Travel Required: As needed
- Location: 217 E. Main Street, Ottumwa, IA
- Work Hours: 8 am – 5 pm (Mon – Fri), Some nights/weekends
- Position Type: Full-Time
Role and Responsibilities
The Executive Director of the Greater Ottumwa Partners in Progress (GOPIP) shall supervise and oversee all of the business, finances and affairs of the organization. The Executive Director employs or authorizes the employment of all GOPIP staff and personnel, oversees all financial matters and shall have general supervision over all employees. The Executive Director position will be a working managerial position that will be involved directly in all aspects of GOPIP’s operation and specifically in areas related to their experience, skills and areas of expertise.
- Work with the Board and Executive Board, volunteers and staff to build relationships and direct communication to assure that they are fully-versed on all aspects of GOPIP operations and on each issue as they are presented; Proactively brief the Board and Executive Board on progress being made to accomplish the short- and long-term goals of the organization. Annually, develop and deliver a Board orientation session for new and existing Board members that covers policy, strategy and structure of GOPIP.
- Develop an overall GOPIP Operations Policy Manual that will include, but not be limited to, areas such as, personnel, operations, finance and, facility management.
- Implement and monitor policies to ensure the fiscal stability, sustainability and accountability of the organization. Annually, develop and present a fiscally responsible budget that clearly reflect GOPIP’s strategic priorities. Gather feedback from GOPIP Board and Executive Board and finalize annual budget.
- Hire and develop a staff with the qualifications and skills necessary to establish and maintain an outstanding and continuously improving organization. Establish a review process that annually evaluates employee performance in carrying out the key aspects of the GOPIP strategic plan. Take appropriate action, including termination, when employee is not making the necessary contribution to the organization’s success.
- Maintain a highly visible, professional and positive profile for GOPIP in the community, region, State of Iowa and nationally when representing the Ottumwa area.
- Serve as spokesperson for GOPIP within the community and, within the region, state of Iowa and nationally. Always present GOPIP’s position and viewpoints in a clear and concise manner that reflect positively on the Ottumwa area.
- Establish and maintain the personal and organizational partnerships necessary to accomplish success for GOPIP.
- Pursue professional development and networking opportunities to ensure that the GOPIP strategic plan is constantly evolving to meet the community’s needs.
- Coordinate the organization, logistics and implementation of the Team Ottumwa Council to maintain a focus on an area-wide teamwork approach to key issues.
- Promote the accomplishments of the organization to members, investors and residents of the community.
- Lead efforts with GOPIP Board and Executive Board to create GOPIP’s annual strategic action plan and the GOPIP long-term 3 / 5 - year strategic plan.
- Will lead capital campaigns with GOPIP leaders and assume a primary role to assure that funding goals are met as necessary to accomplish the organization’s goals/strategic priorities.
- Perform the role as spokesperson for GOPIP on public policy priorities, as it relates to advancing Economic Development in the Greater Ottumwa area.
- Manage the GOPIP office facility to ensure functionality and attractiveness. Lead a review and analysis process to identify additional uses for space in the facility.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years management experience
- A successful track record of accomplishment with Economic Development and/or Chamber organizations.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully relate to staff, volunteers, community leaders and allied organizations
- Capital campaign fundraising experience
- Ability to perceive and understand community and group dynamics
- Savvy in dealing with organizational and community politics
- Ability to acquire and maintain the confidence of colleagues
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
This position manages all GOPIP employees and day-to-day operations. They are responsible for assignment of work tasks, performance management and hiring of the employees.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.