Partners to begin airport analysis
22 Nov 2021
As part of the 2040 Comprehensive Plan, the goal to assess future expansion and/or industrial development at the airport is being conducted by Greater Ottumwa Partners in Progress. The assessment is designed to deliver these measurable results:
- Determine organizational control on how land is transferred or developed within the site
- examine existing easements or rights of way on the site
- explore any covenants or regulations required by Dept. Of Defense or Federal Aviation Administration
- develop a site layout
- create a universal understanding of developable acres and zoning criteria
- create a universal understanding of road access, road improvements, and road weigh restrictions
- create a universal understanding of utility access and/or extension requirements
Ottumwa has no vacant industrial buildings; inventory is full, and GOPIP has received over 45 requests this year for available manufacturing space. There are only two promising areas available to meet increased demand for for expansion- Helgerson Flats, a 77-acre certified site, and the remaining 350+ acres surrounding the airport complex.
Options for site selectors are gained by having comprehensive information about developable land for sale and capacity to go to market quickly. This analysis will assist the city, county, and economic development professionals in meeting Goal #8 of the comprehensive plan.
The analysis will take approximately six months to complete. Upon formal review of the document, officials can take additional actions for improvement. The project was awarded to Bolton Menk in Des Moines based on their bid of approximately $58,000. Financial partners include GOPIP, Wapello County, City of Ottumwa, MidAmerican Energy, Alliant Energy, ITC, IHCC and Legacy Foundation.