Legislative Priorities Emerge for Economic Developers
2 Feb 2022
Professional Developers of Iowa (PDI), of which GOPIP is a long-standing member, announced their 2022 Legislative Priorities. PDI represents more than 300 economic development professionals dedicated to expanding Iowa’s economy. The organization’s members include both private and public sectors partners who provide leadership in defining and promoting statewide economic development initiatives. Priority issues include:
Workforce Recruitment and Retention
- Continued funding of Last Dollar Scholarships, the Employer Innovation Fund, Earn & Learn Programs, Child Care Challenge Grants, Future Ready Iowa, and Summer Youth Program Grants.
- Growing Iowa’s jobs training and apprenticeship programs and partnering with Iowa’s community colleges and IEDA to efficiently deploy throughout the state.
- Investment in a quality education system, from early childhood to post-secondary.
- Innovation to address the fundamental flaws of Iowa’s childcare system.
- Simplify legal immigration into Iowa through updated federal policies and practices that strengthen talent acquisition and retention, business development, and economic growth.
- Support efforts designed to elevate Iowa as a state welcoming to all individuals willing to share their talents to urgently enhance the quality and quantity of our labor pool.
Economic Development Environment
- Protect tax credits and economic development assistance tools and programs demonstrating a positive ROI are fully funded and supported.
- Sustain funding to the Brownfield/Grayfield Program to reinvest in local communities.
- Sustain the Workforce Housing Tax Credit Program to address Iowa’s housing crises.
- Defend tax increment financing (TIF) and be a leader in educating partners and stakeholders of the importance such tools play in supporting both rural and urban development.
- Accelerate broadband expansion and be a champion for all aspects of Empower Rural Iowa.
- Boldly invest in creative placemaking and quality of life/place initiatives.
- Grow Iowa’s population by investing in programs such as student loan repayment tax credits, childcare, and other forms of assistance.
- Continue support for business and industry experiencing sustained pandemic impacts. Implement further recommendations of the Governor’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
Fair and Responsible Tax Reform
- Support tax policies like the Governor’s Invest in Iowa Act that invest in quality of life/placemaking, water quality, and income tax reform.
- Make Iowa’s tax system more competitive while retaining provisions that encourage economic growth and job creation. Any tax reform should lower rates and simplify compliance for the broadest possible spectrum of business taxpayers.
- Showcase the return on investment of Iowa’s tax credits in any potential corporate tax reform.
- Make Iowa the most attractive state for the workforce of tomorrow.
Investment in Iowa’s Infrastructure
- Continue investment in Iowa’s water quality and existing infrastructure.
- Develop innovative and diverse funding mechanisms for Iowa’s transportation infrastructure.
- Sustain the state’s investment in broadband expansion to meet the needs of businesses, remote workers, students, and telehealth until 100% of Iowa can connect.
- Invest in Iowa’s levies and flood mitigation systems.